FG explains why Buratai, Abubakar, others will not be probed
NEWSMAN, Abuja – Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has said there will be no need to probe immediate-past service chiefs, because “Where there are infractions, there are internal regulations and internal mechanisms to address them”.
Mohammed also slammed those asking for the International Criminal Court (ICC) to probe the former service chiefs, saying such is “unpatriotic”.
He stated this on Tuesday, while speaking on a Radio Nigeria programme, Politics Nationwide.
Last week, President Muhammadu Buhari appointed four new service chiefs.
They took over from the ex-service chiefs — General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Chief of Defence Staff); Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai (Chief of Army Staff); Vice Admiral Ibok Ibas (Chief of Naval Staff); and Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar (Chief of Air Staff).
But the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and some Nigerians have since demanded that Olonisakin, Buratai, Ibas and Abubakar be probed, to unravel circumstances behind the security lapses during their tenure, Daily Post reported.
However, Mohammed said, “To the best of my knowledge, our service chiefs obey the rules of engagement.
“Where there are infractions, there are internal regulations and internal mechanisms to address them.
“Those who are calling for the ex-service chiefs to be invited to ICC are unpatriotic people”.