Buckingham Palace responds to Harry and Meghan interview, says royal family is ‘saddened’
NEWSMAN – Buckingham Palace Tuesday evening, broke its silence over Harry and Meghan’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey
The Palace in a statement on behalf of the Queen said that allegations of racism made by the Sussexes were concerning and being “taken very seriously.”
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the statement reads.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members,” it added.
Buckingham Palace’s response comes more than 36 hours after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a series of damning accusations in their first sit-down interview since stepping back from life as senior royals and moving to the US last year.
The interview which reportedly plunged the royal household into a crisis had the couple make some allegations against the royals.
Some allegations included; racism and Meghan’s admission that she felt suicidal during her first pregnancy; Harry and Meghan citing a lack of support over invasive press coverage; the royal institution’s decision not to give their son Archie a title.
According to a royal source, the royal family waited to respond until the interview had aired in the UK, to allow viewers in the country to watch it first.
The source also suggested that a conversation between the royal family and Meghan and Harry should have taken place privately to address the issues raised by the couple instead of in a broadcast interview.
Diversity, equality, inclusion and mental health are important issues and highlighting that has formed part of the work of members of the family for many years, the source added.
The statement on behalf of the Queen made no mention of an investigation into Harry and Meghan’s allegations, CNN reported.
However, last week, the palace promised an investigation after a UK newspaper published allegations that Meghan had bullied several staff members — a report dismissed by the Sussexes as “a calculated smear campaign.”
Harry and Meghan also discussed their new life in California with Winfrey. The couple are expecting their second child, a girl, this summer.